Cleaning franchises have some real advantages: this is work that always needs doing, it has to be done on the premises so you don’t have to have a storefront and you’re not in competition with online services, and the initial investment tends to be low compared with other types of franchises.
in 2010, cleaning and janitorial franchises were identified as top growth opportunities by Entrepreneur magazine, and fewer Americans do their own cleaning.
In fact, the average American mom spends only half as much time on housework as her mom did. Since she also spends a lot more time at a paying job than the average woman did in those days, she both needs and can afford some household help.
A cleaning service doesn’t require a lot of special training, and the national recognition of a name like Merry Maids gives you a significant advantage over local cleaning services.
Cleaning franchises go beyond basic residential maid service, though. Look at some of the specialists:
- Restoration 1 copes with water damage, increasingly important as extreme weather patterns increase. People need them after a fire, too, and to cope with mold.
- Bio-One is a crime scene cleaning franchise. Someone’s gotta do it, and the pay scale is significantly higher than what you can command for typical office or home cleanup.
- The Cleaning Authority specializes in environmentally-aware cleaning services. U.S. consumers are increasingly concerned about the environment, and more than half will pay more for green businesses.
- West Sanitation focuses on public restrooms — one of the most reliable predictors of whether customers will return to a restaurant or other business.
- Window Genie cleans gutters and tile as well as windows. Both residential and business customers, including those with on-site janitorial staff, need this service.
Cleaning franchise business opportunities are designed for entrepreneurs who want to hire cleaners and manage the business, rather than hands-on technicians. For the individual who doesn’t feel passionate about any particular industry, this can be a steady an profitable opportunity.